Sunday 4 June 2017

The ONE mistake the prodigal son which you must not dare

So, last night God opened my eyes to see something in a new light. The opening verses of the parable Jesus told has some very profound insights for us. Jesus said, "A certain man had two sons, And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living." The son asked his Father to give him what belonged to him from the massive possessions the Father had (I believe the Father really wanted to teach Him a lesson from the very start that was why he never objected to the whole request).

I learned that the word "Father" in Hebrew means, "Source and Sustainer." Here was a boy who had a Father (His source and sustainer) and yet he sought for "things." For him, the things that he could get off his father was more important than being with the father.

Here's what God impressed on my mind as I meditated on these things:

"It is not what you have that sustains you, it is who you have. We have God as our Heavenly Father, no other person can sustain us like He does, not even our earthly parents." I guess this is why Jesus said we should not call any other person "Father" except our Heavenly Father.

So, who sustains you? Is it your job, parents, your husband or your friends? You must look beyond your salary or any source of income you have. God is the SOURCE and the SUSTAINER of your life. Scripture tells us that He upholds all things by the word of His power. I've always said, "It is not gravity that holds the universe in place, it is the Word of God."

So, if God can sustain all the universe by His word, he surely can sustain you.

I urge you to refuse to be satisfied with the "things" God can give you, rather be satisfied with HIM. He alone is sufficient. The son had everything including His Father, but he chose the things and left to a place where he squandered everything.

If all you have are material blessings - the Father's presence, then you are of all the people the poorest.

Don't make the mistake of the boy. With God, you have everything because He is Father and Father= Your Source and Sustainer.

Are you still going to keep on asking for things or for Him?

......
Scripture for meditation: "He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?" (Romans 8:32, KJV).

Prayer:

Lord, I refuse to be satisfied with things, I want you. I know in you I find my completion. Your presence is all I need. Forgive me for the desire for things. I want you.

Oluwatobi Adesanya
For Daily Dealings Youth Devotional

No comments:

Post a Comment